Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Navigation

December 23, 2010

My Corostick

Would like to share my experiment with u guys. For who interested to try.

As im a diy person, for me getting a plan or measuring someones build is not giving me the satisfaction. This is my first attempt in simple plane building from scratch. Motivated by BMNF NiteStick. With slow flight and gliding capability make it just for a beginner like me in flying a plane. But due to my interest in coroplast I decide to build mine using one. With some research, calculations and help from fellow fliers my first corostick flies successfully. Seeing my first scratch build flies is priceless. Materials used mostly from my local hardware store like coroplast, woodstick. Spend below rm30 for the build.





Corostick V1 :



Span : 40in

Chord : 8in

Dehidral : 5 deg

Aspect Ratio : 5

Length : 27in

Complete Weight : 23.2oz

Wing Loading : 10.4 oz/ftsq

Ctrl : Elevator n rudder

PowerPlant : 1000kv + 30A + 1047 + 11.1V 1300mAh

Ave. Flight Time : 13 to 15 minutes



Flying V1 almost like flying a nemo at halfthrottle.

Corostick V2 :



Span : 50in

Chord : 10in

Dehidral : 5 deg

Aspect Ratio : 5

Length : 37in

Complete Weight : 28oz

Wing Loading : 8.2 oz/ftsq

Ctrl : Elevator n rudder

PowerPlant : 1000kv + 30A + 1080 + 11.1V 1300mAh

Ave. Flight Time : 17 to 20 minutes (even 25min)

Flying V2 is most satisfying for me as it delivers what I really want with my corostick, smooth flying experience. Good gliding capability as well. I even try loops with my v2.



But some how the weight is an issue for coroplast build. However after flying my V2, its weight is still manageable.

As for the material for the build, im using coroplast for my wing and stabilizer. Woodstick for the fuse, some screws, rubber band, satay stick, hangar wire, packaging tape, pvc pipe and some aluminium square pipe for the motor mount. No epoxy, just CA for wing build. CA works best for coroplast.

For those who searching for a coroplast slow trainer plane to build might want to try my corostick. For me it is simple to build. And I would suggest CoroStick V2. If you could spend 2-3 hours of you time, you can finish the wing.

This is the measurements and the way to build the wing.

Tools Materials

- 20inx30in (wing panel) and 20inx15in (stabilizers) coroplast/impraboard

- ½inx1/8in woodstick



- Hangar wire

- Fibertape/Packaging Tape

- CA Glue

- Cutter

- Ruler

- CoroHinging Tool (something like this)



Wing Panel (in inch)


Cut your coroplast accordingly with the flute running in the wing span direction. Save the left over for later use.



Using your hinging tool, remove one side of the flute to make it flex for the airfoil.





Cut the wing tip and mark the line accordingly for airfoil ribs and sand it using a piece of sand paper.



Cut the airfoil shape using pieces of coro measuring 1inx10in. The line you see is about 3in from the front of the airfoil shape. Make 6 of it.





Using a CA glue glue the ribs to the wing panel.



Connect both panel using some hangar wire bend to 5deg dihedral make a support





Left over from your wing panel used for cover.





Put a piece of hangar wire for rubber band crush protection.


Fuse n Stabilizer (in inch)



Using the 20ininx15in coro, cutout your stabilizer accordingly.
More pic as building guide. Pic tells a thousand words.

Servos mounting



Wing Mount







Finish Fuse



Rubber band holder about an inch from wing mount



Stabilizer assembly



Motor mount and landing gear



Finish



as for the cg, try to balance ur corostick at about 1/3 of the wing chord. it works for me. you might need to place all of ur electronics to the front as the tail is quite heavy. or maybe some one out there who would like to try changing the stabilizers with depron.

You guy are welcome to give it a try and give any comments or suggestion or even share your build. not much of a copyright issue as i'm giving it a way for free to be distribute. although i've to admit its not a perfect build/design, but it works (low cost material). and for me, its something for the new diy flyers who really looking into building a cheap slowflyer for them self. i'll try later on to put some reviews on my corostickv2.

enjoy ur flights ...




update 2/15/09:

i've notice that my corostick having some difficulties in making a turn. from a solution after asking around, it seems that my corostick doesnt have enough dihedral in its wing. after quite sometime flying with it, i finally find sometime trying to fix that. what i do, i just disamble the center part of the wing, make some adjustment to the center angled wooden stick and hangar wire inside and put it all togather again. just ad some more agle into it.



its turn easier with the new mode. so maybe 10 deg is batter than 5 deg that i first build it on. one more thing that i notice, it even fly batter with more dihedral.

so, thats conclude the importance of dihedral  and its effect on aeroplane for me.




update 3/19/09:

My CoroStickV2 with modified wing.