Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Navigation

July 05, 2013

Simple DIY 5V BEC

I'm looking for a way to power my servo tester with my LiPo without using an ESC which i used to do. I don't have a BEC laying around, and i'm too cheap to buy one just to power a servo tester. Then i remember a friend of mine building his own BEC from a minimal amount of component to power his sailboat with a LiPo battery.
I start looking for parts in my workshop to make myself a DIY BEC and lucky me i have some laying around in my electronics box. A couple of hours later after some datasheet reading, schematic figuring, component placing and soldering, i got myself one simple homemade BEC.





This build is just for the used with none critical RC aplication such as power your testbech or sailboat. Because there's no output filtering involve. I DO NOT recommend it be use with model aircraft or powerboat.

For your own BEC you will need:


  • 12V-5V Voltage regulator (commonly used 7805) - here is how i get it from a burned out esc -> http://kcrcw.blogspot.com/2013/07/diy-5v-regulator-from-old-esc.html
  • 2 capacitor (refer to datasheet)
  • Servo connector + wire (5V output to the rx/servo tester)
  • JST/Deans connector + wire (11.1V/7.4V input)
  • an LED + resistor (power on indicator)

This is the circuit diagram which i sketch for a friend showing the connection to be made.

For this example using 7805 regulator:

C1 = 0.33uF capacitor (from datasheet)
C2 = 01uF capacitor (from datasheet)
LED = Red
R = 150ohm resistor

This picture showing not 7805
I am using a prototype board for a cleaner look. The heat sink is needed as droping 12v to 5v, the regulator will produce a lot of heat. As you can see i cover the whole board with epoxy for water proofing.


No comments :

Post a Comment

pls leave your email or other means of contact info.